St. Joseph’s House (saintjosephshouse.net) serves school-aged children (5-21) with intellectual and developmental disabilities, offering home-based care after school, on weekends and throughout the summer. SJH allows parents to hold their jobs and forms a tight-knit community among the children and families. In 35 years, SJH has served 55+ families.
Headquartered: Silver Spring
Serves: Montgomery County
What a donation buys:
- $150 provides five new educational or therapeutic toys.
- $1,000 covers snacks for the after-school program for one year.
- $10,000 covers the cost of summer camp for four children.
- One day: Assist youths as they sell coffee and pastries at the skill-building café program.
- Ongoing: Help facilitate crafts, games and field trips on Saturday respite days or during summer camp.