Bethesda Beat, a vital voice covering Maryland’s most populous county, is growing and looking for a hungry, savvy reporter to cover politics. The looming elections for Montgomery County executive and a redistricted county council will have a significant impact on more than 1 million residents. We’re looking for a journalist who can reveal the players, explore the issues, follow the money, repel spin — and explain the process to readers.
This role requires an ambitious mix of breaking news, enterprise and approaches driven by what readers need to know. We are exploring the potential for an authored newsletter during this election cycle as well. This reporter will also have a significant role in compiling the Beat’s voter guides for the primary and general elections.
Candidates should have fluency covering politics and elections, using public records and data, and explaining complex issues.
Bethesda Beat is an equal opportunity employer intent on building a diverse newsroom that reflects the audience it serves. Candidates are encouraged to highlight new perspectives they can bring to our team.
Who We Are
Bethesda Magazine is an award-winning bi-monthly publication that covers the people, places and issues in Montgomery County, Maryland. Bethesda Beat is an award-winning online local news site that publishes an average of nine stories a day. Both are published by Z-Pop Media, the leading media company in Montgomery County, one of the nation’s largest and most affluent and diverse counties.
What We Value
We are committed to:
- Serving the community by producing extraordinary content and events that inform and engage local residents
- Providing a work environment that is based on respect and that is inclusive to all and free of discrimination
- Creating opportunities for advancement and growth for our employees
- Report breaking news as it happens — quickly, fairly and accurately. Expand stories if necessary.
- Cultivate a network of diverse sources on your beat.
- Pitch and develop enterprise stories that readers can’t find anywhere else.
- Use public records to follow money, find scoops and do data reporting.
- Work with fellow journalists to tell stories in a variety of media — photo galleries, data visualizations and more.
- Strategically use social media to build sources, track news and distribute content.
- One-three years of reporting experience, including political coverage, at a daily news organization
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to tell a story
- Excellent news judgment, audience awareness and understanding of journalistic ethics
- Experience working in a digital publishing system
- Familiarity with and interest in Montgomery County
- Willingness to represent Bethesda Beat on audio and video platforms
- Working knowledge of photography
Email Bethesda Beat managing editor Andy Schotz (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Bethesda Beat editor Anne Tallent (email@example.com) with a resume (as a PDF), references and links to a half-dozen clips that demonstrate breaking news and enterprise on politics or related coverage. No phone calls, please.
The job is located in Bethesda Magazine’s office in Montgomery County. We offer a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package that includes health insurance and a matched 401K program, as well as flexibility for remote work and opportunities for career development.